Friday, August 15, 2014

Saving the world -- one paint can at a time

Guess what this means?



Yes, another Friday night working.  Truth be told.   Its called sweat equity, RIGHT?!?!  Jeez.


Wait, what day is it?  Has it really taken me 5 days to actually write this blog?  Whoops... well I started this Wednesday and now its Friday... its taken an entire week now.  Yikes.


-----  back to the good stuff  -----

One of my friends on facebook recently asked everyone what to do with 50 of their leftover paint cans (my apologies if you are reading this -- its not at all personal!).  But the older I get, the less and less waste I want to make.  (for example - there is this piece of cut-up floor board that I am making Tom save for a shelf!  Do you know how cheap shelves are!?!?)

But my friend had 50 leftover paint cans!!   50.  Really??!?!  And so, while I do pretty much know exactly what color I'd like the walls in our guest bathroom - I also know I have maybe 10 leftover paint cans --- so, I can't just go buy a brand new one.  



Ps.  Can you see how many things are going on in this picture?  I mean, baby monitor AND ALL!
I originally mixed a Sand Beach from Sherwin-Williams with that light blue from above.  Was NOT working... it was tooooooooo brown.  I think brown is just a very strong color.  So I put that can away.  I am trying to paint the walls a similar blue as the tile border...




And its a lighter blue... a retro blue.  So - I started by mixing some colors...



And I found out that this really dark navy blue looks great when you have a little bit of it mixed with some lighter colored paint...


FYI - that Amazon paint is already leftover/recycled paint!!
And here is where all my mixing got me.


I kept mixing little bits of green or navy blue or light blue or white (ceiling paint actually) ---- to see which one I liked the best.  Turns out, I didn't have enough navy blue anyways to be that particular about it!  I probably wasted some time fine tuning the color... 


 

But I had fun  :)

So here is the final color blue:



Along with my handsome husband who was working late on a Friday night (again)... albeit we had a massive blow-out fight the next morning - we did get some good work done that night!

I did learn something.  There is a putty-knife-type tool Tom has, that has a curve or half-moon shape cut-out on the side.  I never knew what that was for.  Maybe you did.  But it is actually for scraping the paint out of the roller, like this:





And after this painting - AND painting of the bedroom this project is looking AWESOME.  I am typing this from Ohio right now.  Tom goes home on Sunday and we come home Wed.  Tom is going to work his tail off to finish the bedroom and bathroom -- our ceiling fan just got delivered and I ordered carpet the other day.  

I CAN SEE THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL!!!  

In TWO weeks they will install the carpet -- our goal is to have IT ALL done by then.  I can't contain my excitement, really.  I just deleted the word YAHOO because I see I typed it somewhere else too.  :)


I am going to pull an HGTV on you - and am going to wait share any pics UNTIL IT IS DONE.  YAHOO.  Thank the dear lord it is almost over!

In other, maybe more interesting news... my baby can already sit up by himself!!  Sort of...



Mary Alice had soccer all week:



It was pretty awesome actually.  Funny to see 3 year olds play and try to listen... (while sticking their hands in their pants and who knows what else...).

My last, more funny note --- The Sherwin-Williams store manager, Tom, knows me by first AND last name.  :)  He even has some of the colors I've ordered memorized.   Yup.

On that note, I should get some sleep.  How about you?

R & R,

Heather

4 comments:

  1. So happy for you! I love that color in the bathroom!! Well done! It will be so nice to have all of this behind you.

    I LOVE tot soccer! It is so funny to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bathroom color! I'm still trying to decide what color to paint each of my bathrooms. But I'm almost done with the wallpaper removal :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tia!!

    just my two cents --- with our first house I really did not like a lot of my color choices. That house I made decisions quickly. This house I've taken a lot of paint swatches home and mulled over them for days. I've also bought a lot of small test paints - it has really helped and I've been really happy with all my choice!

    Kudos to you. Good luck with the wallpaper removal, I'm sure you know it can be a B!^@&!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete