Thursday, August 28, 2014

Inspirations

This isn't exactly inspiring, but I've been wanting to share it with you for a couple months.  Jeez Louise.

 
I am ashamed to say those photos were taken in my house, and still look like that today.  BUT I just had to share the fact that ALL the trim in the house was once PALE YELLOW and at another time it was also PASTEL BLUE.  And when we inherited it, I would say it was all pastel pink/mauve.  Cray-cray.  (that is soooo not something I ever say, truly)
 
 
But, I am now in the decorating phase of some rooms - FUN!  But of course, none of our furniture really fits anything well... and I'm decorating our living room/ kitchen/ dining room right now.  For the dining room, I'm going bold, glam, classy - basically all gold/neutral colors.  I think its going to rock. 
 
For the living room I'm going green - the color looks great with all the windows, in my opinion.  So, I was reading the latest issue of This Old House, and guess what?  They wrote, "There's something about being in nature that is inherently calming. "That's why green is an ideal color for a living room—it relaxes people," says Sara McLean, color expert for Dunn-Edwards Paints.".    YESS!! Score one for ME!!!
 
So, I'm using this photo for inspiration for my living room:
 
 
I'm kind of in love with this retro feel.  By no means am I replicating it to a T.  (those drapes are just too much for me.  And the wall color is too dark)  But I like the artwork, and some of the lamps.  Just feels relaxing, doesn't it?
 
Does this?
 

Yeah, I don't think so either.  I plan to paint the top of the fireplace brick a dark green, and replace that cheap white aluminum mantel with a real nice wood one.  Also, as you can see, we are trying out some curtains (sheers really) - and I'm not loving them.   So, I think I may make my own roman shade?!?!  My friend gave me the idea, its all over pinterest.  And I found some fabric from Calico Corners that isn't too expensive:


I also found inspiration from The Tile Shop.  They have really beautiful displays, many of them!  We will eventually be re-doing our master bathroom.  I am SOOO in love with this one for SO many reasons...


It is so classy, isn't it?  I'm pretty sure we'll be doing white subway tile on the walls too.  I love that brown border around the floor tile (and the hexagonal tile has a brown colored grout!).  It just looks classy, eh?  I'm definitely doing the oval mirror with sconces on the side.  I want our bathroom's 'style' to last for forever really.  I also love the tile baseboard in this bathroom.  But, can we say EXPENSIVE!  Yes.   But not that expensive when you DO IT YOURSELF!! :)

I also like this bathroom, but not as much:

 
 
I like the white vs. blue - good contrast.  Not crazy about the marble hexagonal floors though.
 
Let the inspirations continue!
 
Heather


1 comment:

  1. The looking and thinking and planning are so much more fun than the endless days of working that it takes to make the dream a reality. That top bathroom is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete